<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Post MOT work 

Yesterday afternoon I replaced the front wheel bearings (6203, 2 off) but then found that as I tightened the axle the wheel was seizing! How odd. Two rather homemade looking washers were in the speedo drive casing and after much analysis it seems that the speedo drive casting has worn and thus fouls on the hub-mounted  drive gear. I botched a slightly thicker washer and that cured it. I'm hoping to get a custom part made to avoid the 2 washer problem-waiting-to-happen. Moreover I think the play in the front wheel wasn't the bearings but was due to the axle assembly not being tightened up.

Today I've been out twice in the rain and hope that a I have solved the rough running by a combination of checking the breather hoses on the rear carb, squirting all the jets through and ensuring the airbox to elbow joints are right. I'm not happy though as the rear carb mixture screw doesn't have a 'sweet spot'. The engine speeds up more as the screw is opened. I'll try another trip another day to see if  it will start from cold and if it is still running OK.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?