<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 27, 2009

X3 stator

OK, so after many evenings of experimentation I finally decided to work on the X3 stator which is the one normally powering my old Kanguro. In previous posts I'd mentioned that this has a 200ohm ignition coil and quite unpredictable starting. The stator is slightly different to those I've been working on as it has the power coils would directly on the stator, no plastic bobbins. The ignition coil is the usual bobbin affair. I decided to leave the laminations on the alloy baseplate as removal is a horrible job, and I have now decided, unneccessary. The copper limiter plates came off easily enough but the plastic seperator was weak, fibrous and broke up as I tried to lever it off. Likewise, the ignition coil bobbin was very brittle and although I managed to move it a little it broke before it was off. The wire inside was a congealed mass, I'm sure the enamel had overheated and, of course, that leads to shorts and a gradual loss of effective turns and this a lowered resistance. The cable insulation is also brittle next to the coils and so that needs to be replaced too.

When I did the original re-wire I left the stator wiring alone and actually handled it very carefully as I was concerned that things might be fragile. It seems than tI wa right to be concerned.

I have a rewound Lambretta ignition coil and so that will be fitted when the stator is cleaned up.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?