<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Still winding - power coils

The alternator saga continues. While I'm waiting to get the Indian Scooter stator turned out in the centre I'm rewinding my old X1 stator. The ignition coil went really well, 3000 turns and 307 ohms. I'm also doing the power coils as they were really dirty, slightly damaged, and more importantly, I reckon that with fewer turns of thicker wire I can get more power. That might be wishful thinking but my theory is that the original windings gave an excess voltage. Now that is pointless as the regulator merely wastes everything above 13.8V or whatever, it doesn't 'repackage' it. So with heavier wire I'm hoping to achieve a bare 13V at idle but be able to suck out more current. We'll see. However although I've done the coil set I have discovered that by remaking the coils as per orginal, I've set my self up for messy interconnections. One will have to be remade. At least I'm in the swing of it now.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?