<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Fuel taps

I've had the 'new' red tank on the bike for a few weeks but not put any petrol in it. A few days ago I ran a bit in and found that it dribbled; both out of the pipe hole and the knob area.

On examination the tap is in fair condition but the 4 hole sealing washer is a little hard and slightly below at least one of the feed pipes. I feel that metal to metal contact between the pipes and tap knob will cause a leak.



NLM do not stock a washer kit and having looked at the proces of these in a generic parts catalogue I decided to get a new tap. Petrol drips are not a good thing. In case you're wondering, the tap on the original tank is fine but now I've got 2 sound tanks I'd like 2 good taps so they can both be used. The new tap is of similar dimensions to the OE but doesn't seem to be quite as nice quality. Note the plastic knob.



It's also notable how much dirt has been trapped by the gauze on the 'reserve' feed to the tap.



I would like to find a new washer to renovate this tap. I've contemplatd trimming the pipes back or putting a squirt of silicone gasket behind the washer but neither of these seems like a proper job!

I've also traced the decals from the tank and will try to get a neat image of these to have some fresh ones made from.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?