<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Stuff the seat!

I couldn't leave the seat with a gap, even though the vinyl cover looked great by itself. I carefully unpicked the staples at the front and inserted a piece of closed cell foam cut from a camping mat. I tried to shave the edges to make it smooth and taped it into place.



I put a few staples in and went outide to test it. Good work, but not enough. I cut a bigger piece of foam, unpicked the staples again etc etc. I couldn't pull the cover tight over the foam as it isn't rigid enough. This time it fitted well forming a nice soft cuff around the tank. It didn't pull when I sat down either. So I put the full set of staples in and put small patches of waterproof repair material over the staple holes that had no become close to the edge of the seat.

Moral of this is to check covering with as few staples in palce as possible and not to cut big relieving 'V's until you're done. By the way, I used a hot air gun to work the fabric around corners.

Early eveing I went for another trip, just on roads to avoid mud, and found the bike as good as yesterday. Lighting fine too.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?