<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Recovering the seat

In high spirits I decided it was a good time to tidy the garage. I had 4 empty boxes to put away now that all the parts are attached to the bike where they belong.



The seat that I'd got with the bike had a nasty tear at the back and cracks around a support. I suspect this one is damaged due to heat from the exhaust. I cleaned around it with petrol and daubed chemical metal into the defect up to the correct level and then fitted the rubber support.



The foam on this seat is orignal and extends infront and behind the seat base for about 8mm each end. I checked that this reached the tank and then set to covering the base with a cover from R K Leighton that they had made using the torn one as a template. I'd been advised to keep the cover warm and to stretch it as much as possible by hand tho stop wrinkles developing. I did a trial run with clothes pegs and then set to it. I started near the back and then gradually worked to the front. Then I pulled the back over and finally the front. It looked good.



Unfortunately the tension in the foam now meant that a gap existed between the seat and tank. Oh dear!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?