<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Another 30km test run

Even though I'd had an early start today I felt I must take advantage of the pleasant evening and go for another test run. The engine coughed on the first kick but started on the second - front choke, no throttle as it should be. After a few hundred yards the choke came off and left a fair idle. I'm wondering if the idle could be turned down a little as it is a spot fast when the engine is hot. Then again, it starts hot and cold and doesn't stall, so what am I worrying about?

From home there are a few road miles before a short byway that ascends a grassy bank, with some stones near the top. Getting through the gate was difficult due to the lack of side-stand but after that progress was good. I did find that opening the throttle gives a rather sudden burst of power when trickling over obstacles. I assume that this is the slides lifting as the slack is taken. Some might call this responsive but it's not ideal at slow speeds. Despite this the lane was passed easily and I had no problems with changing to second and did much of the lane at a low tickover, lots of torque. Maybe if I'd kept in first I'd have had more revs and more throttle and so been above the throttle's critical point?

There's still the intrusive knock from the front end on full fork extension and a can't feel slack in the sterring bearings. However I think they have bedded in a little over the 100km test as they feel a little loose - the handlebars tip side-to-side a little too easily.

The evening went dark earlier than expected as there was lots of cloud so the run was done with lights on. Don't seem to be any problems there.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?