<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Back to the metal

A little more rewiring in that I routed wires to rear indicators, stop lamp unit and checked that the ignition system made a spark. I also attached a battery and checked that it worked. It did! However my check of the wiring plan revealed that I needed the chassis ground to drive the headlamp and front indicators so the connection bolts had to be onto clean metal and not powder coat.

The front bolt was originally M5 in a coated hole. So I tapped it out to M6 which gave a clean metal thread for a vaeline coated 6mm bolt. It was a bit fiddly screwing it in from between the down tubes but it's done now. I'm hoping that sealing the connection in the thread will be less liable to rust than cleaning the metal plate. In the battery box the hole was already clearnce for M6 so I didn't want to enlarge that and had to emery down to metal around the hole. I did it as minimally as possible so that bare metal was not exposed when the bolt is in place; again coated in vaseline. This set up has the advantage that a 10mm WAF spanner fits both these points and the engine case connection. Resistance between all points is unmeasurable with my DMM.



As a finale I made a new stainless bracket to support the silencer. The old one was pretty rough and I couldn't face refitting it. However when I finished an hour and a quarter later I wondered if it was time well spent. I'm a slow worker with a file.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?