<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 13, 2004

Levers done

The obvious solution for the levers fouling the guard was to get short levers. I've made some enquires and come up with nothing. I have got a MZ lever which would be a cheap but fair substitute for the brake lever but it's no shorter.

So, I've sawn them off diagonally and rejoined them with Technoweld. I'm well aware that many regard this as 'snake-oil' but I don't have facilities for TIG and I reckoned it would be as good as a poor attempt at MIG. Also, the cut was placed so that load is placed on the sound lever, the joint is merely to replace the ball end. An ideal job might have been to place a dowel between the parts and then use the rods to fill the gap?



This was my first real job with Technoweld and apart from getting the parts hot enough, the only problem was tidying the joint without it dropping apart. After joining I ground the step out and they look fair. There is a visible porous spot in each lever. The test will be to see how they survive in use.



After that, fitting the guards was straightforward.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?