<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 14, 2004

Red light

I'd cut the bolts holding the rear lamp unit to the mudgaurd as they were stuck. On inspection I found that the 3 bolts screw into nuts in the lamp housing that engage on plastic edges. This is because it's rather narrow to get a spanner inside.

I chose the cut the nuts up with the Dremel whcih worked a bit, but also melted the palstic. When I'd done this once I decided that the best bet was to melt the nuts out and then repair the holes.

The holes were reapired with blobs of 'chemical metal' that were built upto fill the platic retaining grooves. I stopped it flowing everywhere with a strip of masking tape. Once it had set I filed the filler flat and gently drilled a pilot hole with the Dremel. Then I carefully enlarged it with twist drills.

Obviously all the plastic parts were cleaned for reassembly.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?