<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Fork oil

Where does the noise in the forks come from? I went to NLM and some of their Kanguro forks make a noise but not as bad as mine. NLM sugegsted that I might have too much oil in there. They also hinted that they often use higher viscosity oil to reduce play in the parts although 5W is best if the bike is to be used on rough tracks.

The recommended quantity is 230ml, I had put around 280ml in. When I removed some the noise did reduce but is still there. I messed with various weights of oil and levels and determined that there is some vertical play in the fork damper.

I could detect this when i stripped the fork. These forks are very easy to pull apart as there are no external bushes. Just undo the bolt at the bottom and they pull apart.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?