<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 13, 2004

Ready to run

All the engine bolts were now refitted and tightened. 2.5 litres of fresh engine oil was added. The old cam belt was gently teased off (I threw it away later so why bother?) and a new size B cam belt fitted. As the X3 engine 12V coils are being used in the X1 frame I elected to place the generator cable through the upper case hole. So I added the cable cleat from the seized X1 engine to make sure the cable stays out of the flywheel.

All other electrics were cut off the X1. The split 6/12V system is crazy and most of the terminals are corroded. However I was desperate to get the engine running. Morini ignition doesn't need anything but the generator, pickup and a pair of transducers, all of which were intact.



I added a heavy ground cable from the engine case direct to a stainless bolt which is, in turn, the ground for the transducers. This lead is often thought to be a solution for troublesome ignition systems.

Then there's the plumbing. The big sump breather seemed essential as I have heard of these spitting oil. Then there were the exhaust headers and then the inlet manifolds.

I cleaned the float bowls, gave it a shot of Easy Start and, after a few kicks, it ran!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?