<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Stator investigations 1

On the MRC rideout I found my Kanguro to be very reluctant to start. It's always had a bit of this habit but I feel it's got worse. The advice of the assembled multitude was that the igntion LT coil on the staor was past its best. It is often advised that the coil should have a resistance of 300ohms, that 180ohms means the bike the won't start and somewhere inbetween is the usual. The X3 coil set in it read 200ohms, so close to the 'failure' level.


I'm setting out to rewind the coil and perhaps remake the whole stator, but before doing that I wanted to know what the LT coil was generating. Here's what I found:




The key findings to me are that at kick over over 100V is achieved which approaches 200V as the engine is revved. The output does not increase evenly with revs - perhaps due to the limiting copper plates.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?